RESOURCES FOR FAMILIES TO SUPPORT CONVERSATIONS ABOUT RACE & RACISM
- Coming Together: Standing Up to Racism: AGES 0-8. CNN’s Van Jones and Erica Hill partner with Sesame Street for Coming Together: Standing Up to Racism, a town hall for kids and families. Watch the full town hall meeting.
- Schomburg Center’s Black Liberation Reading List for Kids: ALL AGES. Explore free library books for children, teens, and adults selected by the Schomburg Center as it marks 95 years of collecting and preserving Black history, arts, and culture.
- PBS KIDS for Parents: AGES 0-8. A collection of articles and videos to help facilitate meaningful conversations about race and racism with young children, including read-alongs and full episodes.
- NYC Department of Education: ALL AGES. Resources to support conversations about race and current events as well as mental health resources to address stress and trauma that children and families may be experiencing.
- Sesame Street in Communities: AGES 0-6. Activities, lessons, and videos on topics like washing hands, eating well, exploring emotions, and family bonding. En Español.
- Khan Academy: ALL AGES. Online courses on everything from preschool math to pre-college prep. Topics include ELA, history, science, and more. En Español.
- NYC Department of Education: ALL AGES. Daily study schedules, activities, and lessons by grade level. Also includes resources for students with special needs.
- National Geographic Kids: AGES 6-14. Games, videos, experiments, fun facts, and brain boosters on topics like science, space, animals, and history.
- Wide Open School: ALL AGES. An online hub for learning resources, sorted by grade level and themes including daily schedules, emotional well-being, English-language learning, math, science, and special needs.
- PBS KIDS: AGES 2-8. Full episodes, games, and art activities sorted by learning themes, plus daily activities and tips for parents. En Español.
- Scholastic Learn at Home: AGES 4-15. Daily stories, articles, and videos built around grade-level appropriate ‘learning journeys.’
- NASA Space Place: AGES 5-14. Activities, games, crafts, videos, and other resources about space and earth science. En Español.
- Brain Pop: AGES 4-16. Videos, games, readings, and interactive activities about health, the sciences, and more. En Español.
- Duolingo: AGES 13+. Short and fun lessons for learning languages like Spanish, French, Chinese, and more. En Español.
- Nick Jr.: AGES 2-8. Complete episodes, music videos, and games about Nick Jr. characters. En Español.
- Brainzy: AGES 4-11. Reading and math-themed games, songs, videos, and read-along storybooks.
- Math Playground: AGES 5-12. Math and learning games sorted by grade level and subject matter.
- Highlights Kids: AGES 5-12. Crafts, recipes, jokes, games, fun facts, podcasts and more, plus the chance to submit student artwork and writing for publication.
- GoNoodle: ALL AGES. Dance parties, yoga sessions, games and mindfulness activities for the whole family.
- Cosmic Kids: AGES 3-8. Yoga and mindfulness adventures for young children with fun themes like Frozen, Minecraft, and Pokémon.
- KIDZ Bop Daily Dance Break: AGES 6-12. Dance lessons choreographed to popular songs, live-streamed every weekday at 3 PM.
- P.E. with Joe: AGES 8+. Fun, 30-minute workouts for the whole family. New sessions streamed live every weekday at 9 AM.
- Glenn Higgins Fitness: AGES 8+. Short, kid-friendly workout sessions led by characters from movies like Black Panther, Avengers, and Star Wars.
- Kidboomers: AGES 2-6. Preschool dance songs and nursery rhymes like the Wiggle Song, the Dinosaur Stomp, and Shake Your Sillies Out.
- Brain Breaks: AGES 2-6. Preschool dance songs meant to get young children dancing, singing, and moving.
- Scratch: AGES 8-16. Learn to code by creating and sharing your own stories, games and animations.
- Code.org: AGES 4-18. A huge collection of coding games, lessons, and projects, designed to teach students of all ages how to create their own games, apps, and websites.
- Exploratorium: ALL AGES. Explore the museum’s interactive science and technology videos, exhibits, and games.
- Cincinnati Zoo: ALL AGES. Take a new virtual safari every day at 3 PM.
- The Met Opera: ALL AGES. Watch a new opera performed every night at 7:30 PM.
- Nature Works Everywhere: ALL AGES. Take a virtual hike through rainforests, grasslands, and desserts.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium: ALL AGES. Visit sharks, penguins, and jellyfish in real time.
FAMILY WELLNESS & SELF-CARE
- NYC Well: Free, confidential mental health and substance misuse support, including online counseling. Available 24/7 in 200+ languages on your phone, computer, or tablet. En Español.
- Parent Toolkit: Resources designed to support parents through every stage of child development. Includes resources on topics like financial literacy and social-emotional learning. En Español.
- PBS KIDS for Parents: Parenting resources, tips, and advice, plus ideas for at-home family activities.
- Mind Yeti: Guided mindfulness and meditation sessions designed for parents and kids to calm their minds, focus their attention, and connect to the world around them. En Español.
- Headspace: Free guided meditations for kids and adults, mindful exercises, and other resources. En Español.
- First Aid for Feelings: AGES 4-10. A free, printable workbook to help kids cope during the COVID-19 pandemic. En Español.